Tenth RRI Dialogue on Forests, Governance and Climate Change :
Common approaches to dealing with the challenges of food security and climate change in forests and agriculture
Organizers: Rights and Resources Initiative and Oxfam in collaboration with IS Academy on Land Governance (LANDac), Netherlands, and EcoAgriculture Partners
RRI and Oxfam are proud to announce that this Dialogue will be held on September 7-8 in The Atlantic Hotel in The Hague, Netherlands. The meeting will identify common approaches to dealing with the interconnected global challenges of responding to the food crisis, forest loss and degradation, the recent rise in global “landgrabbing”, the need to drive additional investment into agriculture, and adaptation to climate change. The meeting will bring more focused attention to the interconnection between forests, agriculture, the rights of producers and affected populations, and the growing global demand for agricultural land and products. By bringing together the communities of practice that deal with different but interrelated issues, the Dialogue will consider issues such as agriculture as a driver in forest loss and degradation, the role forests play in providing food for the rural poor, as well as the implications of the global effort to meet the challenge of feeding nine billion people by 2050 without destroying the natural resources on which all people, but in particular rural and forest dwellers rely for their livelihoods and food security.
We anticipate that the meeting will set out an agenda to influence policy dialogues in a variety of fora, including the Committee on Food Security in October, the Working Group of the G20 Food Security pillar, the UNFCCC COP 17 in December, the International Ecoagriculture Conference in 2012, UN Earth Summit +20 in 2012, the follow-up conference to the Hague Global Conference on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change which will take place in Vietnam in 2012, and other forest, food and agriculture related initiatives.
- Kitty van der Heijden, Ambassador for Sustainable Development at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Herman Rosa Chávez, Minister of Environment, El Salvador;
- Dr. Juan Manuel Torres, Director-General, National Forest Commission (CONAFOR), Government of Mexico;
- Maxwell Gomera, Deputy Director at The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP);
- Alex Evans, Head, Resource Scarcity, Climate Change and Multilateralism, New York University;
- Vicky Tauli-Corpuz, Executive Director, TEBTEBBA, Philippines;
- Paul Wolvekamp, Deputy Director, Both ENDS, Forest Peoples Programme;
- Wolfgang Sterk, President, FIAN Germany;
- Scott Poynton, Executive Director, Tropical Forest Trust;
- Bernard Giraud, Sustainability shared value General Manager, Danone Ecosystem Fund.
Click here for full IISD coverage of the Tenth Dialogue.
Click here to read opening comments by RRI Coordinator Andy White.
Forests, Agriculture and Climate Change Mitigation: Key issues, program design guidelines and policy recommendations
Sara J Scherr, EcoAgriculture Partners
Food Security: Are We Nearly There Yet?
Alex Evans, Center on International Cooperation, New York University
Tom van der Lee, Oxfam
Status of Governance, Livelihoods and Rights in Rural Areas
Jeffrey Hatcher, Rights and Resources
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.